Monday, July 30, 2007

What's a Boy To Do?

Early this spring, I was pretty flattered to be accepted to intern at one of the fastest up and coming church plants in America. Not only was it an honor to be asked to apply, but then to be accepted to come to New York City and work with Aaron Coe and the Gallery Church was an honor beyond belief. It was nothing that I had done, but only by God’s grace would such an opportunity befall on me. I boast only in Him, and in the cross of Jesus Christ that I would be able to be in a position to work with such an incredible staff of people, and alongside 12 new brothers and sisters that I will carry in my heart, soul, and prayers for the rest of my life. It certainly has been the experience of a lifetime, the best summer I’ll ever have, and the biggest challenge I’ve ever had to overcome. With Christ as my refuge, strength, and fortress, I made it through 2.5 months in New York alive, renewed, and a much better man.
Working alongside people like Aaron, Maria Haun, Jose Halder, Stan Thomas, Zach Williams, Caleb Clardy, Tim Simpson, and the hosts of other volunteers and family at the Gallery has honestly been one of, if not, the most rewarding experiences of my life, and one that I will never forget. As time moved on this summer, these folks went from strangers to friends, and from New Yorkers to heroes. God has done something great in the lives of these people. Something I can only pray He will do for me in time. Moving them to a place of ministry in a city that has nothing and giving them the heart to see it through is truly a miracle. These are the best people I know. Not to mention the other interns I came to know and love, some a little more than I would have ever expected to, and may have even wanted to! Living, working, praying, worshipping, crying, laughing, eating, and sharing secrets with each other has created a bond that will never be forgotten or taken lightly. I love you guys.
When you work alongside your heroes everyday, with people you’ve come to admire and adore, it gets really easy to doubt yourself and what God has instilled in you. It becomes easy to see your weaknesses and your failures. I’m the worst sinner I know, I’m the worst sinner in New York, yet I am loved, forgiven, and known. Christ not only points this out in our lives but does amazing things to show us our worth. When I was approached a few days ago about staying in New York and helping the staff open a fourth gathering and assisting in City Uprising, once again you can imagine my shock. A task that I am not worthy of, and being asked, once again by folks that have become my idols. I wrested for days over what I should do. The thought of staying in New York and working everyday in this city was certainly something I long to do. Something I’ve come to love. I love this city. It’s my city. I love this church, this staff, and these people that most of my friends and family warned me about for so long. Staying in New York was not only a realistic option, but a very good possibility. I could still go to school as well as get hands on ministry training. I feel like God has prepared me for this moment.
I also, however, know that I am needed. Not to make myself sound like I am some sort of person of importance, but there are people who count on me in South Carolina. I have many friends I love dearly, a family that I’m freakishly close to, and a new cousin on the way on August 28th. Plus, I am in a great church, have many new goals for my education, as well as many ministry opportunities already underway. This was honestly, the most difficult decision I’ve ever had to make. After hours on the phone with the people I’m closest to, along with their prayers and mine, I have decided that it is in the best interest of my future education, ministry, and relationships that I should stay in contact and working in a volunteer staff/intern position with the Gallery Church while continuing to further my education, ministry, and life in Columbia.
I hope to continue to work with the staff in New York and hope to be included in their future plans. I’ve never had a better work experience, and I know that the Lord has called me to give part of my life to this city. Just not yet. I am a person who takes risks, I like risks. The risks we take in life make us who we are. Whether the right or wrong choice, no matter the pain that comes with it, we always find out more about who we are and we always come out trusting Christ more in tough situations. I feel this is His call for me, I feel this is right. I am not scared to move to NYC, I would jump off that cliff in a second if I felt that is what God wanted me to do. At this time, I don’t feel like it is. I am very flattered, proud, and appreciative of the offer that was given to me. I hope one day it will be extended again, a day when I could fully accept. Thank you Gallery Staff for all of your love, support, teaching, and prayers. I hope to work alongside you again soon.

In Christ,

Neal Hendrick

1 comment:

Erin Gail said...

i'm proud of you mr. hendrick.
love, erin